Another week has come and gone which means another OB appointment is under our belt!
But this one was a lot more eventful than I would have wanted it to be but first let's go over the highlights of the appointment first!
*I'm still at the same weight as I was last week but again I still have time for that to change and with my increased appetite I'm sure it will!
*I'm still checking out great in the hip, cervix, and uterus department which is always a plus!
*My baby bump is still getting the sign off on how it's growing and looking!
*My labs are looking great and my blood count is in the normal range
*And like we end all of our visits I got to see Little Miss but once again her active self made it impossible to get a picture of her. But I got to watch her do a somersault on the ultrasound which was freaking awesome to not only see but feel at the same time as well! Her heart rate is wonderful at 149 BPM and she looks like she is measuring in a about 2 lbs and 2-4 oz so right on track!
Now on to why this appointment was an eventful one! This week my appointment was actually on Tuesday instead of it's normal Wednesday but the day before and that day I was horribly nauseous. Like first trimester morning sickness sick! I can't even begin to tell you how sick I felt. Well when I got up on Tuesday I had a lump on the lower right side of my abdomen that really, really hurt. So since I was going to see my OB I showed it to him and he pushed on it, which yes it made it hurt even more, and he asked me some questions on the baby's movements, if I had, had any accidents or anything happen to me in that area, what I had eaten lately, and how I've been feeling overall.
To answer all those questions:
The baby has never stopped being her crazy and active self
I didn't have any accidents or anything happen to me in that area or in my tummy area in general
The day before I had crackers and soup and fluids and the Sunday night I had a hamburger and French fries.
And besides for being beyond nauseous and sore in that area I felt fine.
Since they don't have an in depth ultrasound machine in the office he called and set me up to go into L&D and have a more in depth ultrasound to see what the bump was and he wanted me to get a IV to have fluids since I was dehydrated from two days of nonstop throwing up!
So I headed on over there which luckily the hospital is less than 10 minutes away from the office. They got me into L&D triage and started a line with my fluids and soon I was done with my ultrasound and waiting for the results.
It was during this time of waiting for results that I thought I needed to go to the bathroom and went in and in the diarrhea passed a very good size blood clot. The nurse was very alarmed and sent it down for cultures and called my doctor.
He was actually just finishing reading the ultrasound results when she paged him and he said that he was admitting me at least overnight because the bump on my abdomen was inflamed intestines that were being moved and pulled up there by my uterus and had caused a small blockage which is what caused the clot.
He then ordered me to be NPO, meds for pain, nausea, inflammation, antibiotics, steroids, and Miralax, and to have an MRI, which is completely safe for the baby and how they check if a pregnant women has an appendicitis, to see if I had any other blockages or anything else going on.
They got me set up and settled into my room which by the way is HUGE and all the rooms up here are this big so we will have a ton of room when Little Miss gets here! Anyway I was still have diarrhea with good size blood clots in it and it made my awesome blood count drop and I had to get a unit of blood.
In an hour I was done with my MRI and it showed the same thing that my ultrasound did so the doctor kept the same game plan but added some labs to be done in the morning and for the baby to be checked every three hours on the monitor and to make sure I'm not having any contractions.
So I settled in for a night of fluids, meds, monitoring, and slowing stopping the amount of blood clots I was passing. Even though I wasn't passing clots I was still in a ton of pain and it didn't help that Little Miss loves to be on my right side and would kick over there a lot and when they put the monitors on to check on her she would protest having them on and kick and move like crazy!
After getting pretty much no sleep that night and my pain only being able to be controlled for two hours or so at a time they started thinking of what else they could do, which honestly were starting to sound scary!
But the good Lord was looking down on Little Miss and I and in a couple of hours the swelling had started to go down and the meds could hold the pain off for three or four hours. I wasn't passing anymore blood clots or having diarrhea so they advanced me to a clear diet to see how I would handle it and in a couple of hours that went well and the swelling was still going down and the baby was still doing great and I wasn't dehydrated anymore!
So they advanced me to a full diet, stopped my fluids, and allowed me to get up and walk around the unit which I was very, very happy about!
By the time Ron got off work and got here at 7pm everything was looking wonderful and they were discharging me home!
The baby was and still is wonderful and they will be watching this area to make sure the intestines have moved where they should be and that they aren't swelling anymore and I'm not getting anymore blockages!
So it was another eventful appointment but I'm glad it all turned out okay and that Little Miss is still doing great!
I do have to brag about a couple of things though!
First the L&D triage and Antepartum unit at the hospital was wonderful! All the staff where friendly, took their time to listen to you, were fast with requests, had great communication with other staff members and the doctors, and they all always went above and beyond for everything! I'm so glad we choose this hospital and I know when we are back in January to have Little Miss we are going to get the same amazing care and treatment!
Second my doctor has been amazing and never jumped to any conclusion right away but instead he got other people involved to help figure out everything that was going on and get to the bottom of everything and make sure we knew what was going on and how to treat it. My doctor as well as those he consulted listened to all my symptoms and concerns and took them seriously to make sure nothing was missed! They all told me not only is their goal to figure this all out and to do what needs to be done to find out what wrong and how to fix it, but to keep both Little Miss and I healthy and wonderful during it and as well as afterwards, and their final goal was making sure we all stayed well, healthy, out of pain, and I can continue to add weeks to this pregnancy and be back in here in January when it is time to welcome Little Miss into the world!
It's so wonderful not only to be better and know what was wrong but to be at such an amazing place with such amazing people that all have the main goal of keeping Little Miss and I healthy and comfortable and content until January!
I do have to brag about a couple of things though!
First the L&D triage and Antepartum unit at the hospital was wonderful! All the staff where friendly, took their time to listen to you, were fast with requests, had great communication with other staff members and the doctors, and they all always went above and beyond for everything! I'm so glad we choose this hospital and I know when we are back in January to have Little Miss we are going to get the same amazing care and treatment!
Second my doctor has been amazing and never jumped to any conclusion right away but instead he got other people involved to help figure out everything that was going on and get to the bottom of everything and make sure we knew what was going on and how to treat it. My doctor as well as those he consulted listened to all my symptoms and concerns and took them seriously to make sure nothing was missed! They all told me not only is their goal to figure this all out and to do what needs to be done to find out what wrong and how to fix it, but to keep both Little Miss and I healthy and wonderful during it and as well as afterwards, and their final goal was making sure we all stayed well, healthy, out of pain, and I can continue to add weeks to this pregnancy and be back in here in January when it is time to welcome Little Miss into the world!
It's so wonderful not only to be better and know what was wrong but to be at such an amazing place with such amazing people that all have the main goal of keeping Little Miss and I healthy and comfortable and content until January!


No comments:
Post a Comment