Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Another Unexpected Weekend!

First off having a bladder/kidney infection sucks! Before getting pregnant I had only had maybe two bladder infections and one kidney infections from one of the bladder infections in my entire life! I thought they sucked then!

Well..............

Having them when you are pregnant is way beyond sucking! I can't even think of a right word to describe that amount of not fun they are while you are pregnant!

One of the bad things about having them when you are pregnant is they have to be extra, extra cautious and concerned as well as aggressive with treating them!

And they can lead to kidney stones if not treated quickly or right which is sadly where I found myself this weekend!

The day started out great! I work up feeling a lot better than the past couple of days and I thought that finally the meds were fully kicking in and things were going to be looking up!

But within a couple of hours my back was starting to hurt slightly.

Then I started running a high fever.

Then I just started to feel horrible!

Then the pain got beyond severe.

Then I got nauseous from the pain and fever.

Finally my fever took over an hour to break and I started to have blood in my urine, which by the way felt like I was peeing sand!
  
Doesn't this sound like a horrible "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" type book!

I then called the on call OB for the weekend and she called back within minutes to tell me that I needed to come into the hospital as soon as I could.

The one nice thing about this was I was officially 19 weeks and at the hospital where I'm delivering once you are 18 weeks you are only seen in OB Triage! Which means I get to skip the ER and all the jazz that comes with that!

The on call doctor who was super sweet and great, said she would call ahead to let them know I was coming since we had a little bit of a drive and then Ron and I grabbed somethings that I would need if this ended up being another admittance stay.

We made great time but it was the weekend and by the time we got there at 6:30 pm I was having very mild contractions anywhere from three minutes to twenty minutes apart but nothing to be alarmed about.

They were amazing in OB Triage! I couldn't find one single thing to change! The first nurse got me all checked in and I answered all the millions of questions before her shift change. My night nurse was so sweet and came in to introduce herself shortly after her shift started and listened to the baby's perfect sounding heart beat!

We had to wait a little bit for the doctor on that for the hospital because he was delivering a baby which we were fine with other then I was in a lot of pain but helping to bring a life into the world is much more important!

The OB doctor for the hospital was very sweet and great! He ordered some labs, urine testing, fluids, meds for pain, nausea, and antibiotics, an ultrasound on my kidneys, and a check of my cervix to make sure the blood I saw in my urine didn't come from there.

Within minutes, no joke, minutes of him leaving the room and ordering all of that my nurse two other nurses were there to help her start a line, get the labs and urine, and set up/witness while the doctor checked my closed and perfect cervix.

Because I'm a hard stick it took three tries but within twenty minutes of them coming in I was all done being poked and prodded and the SWAT nurse left to go done to the pharmacy to get my antibiotics and my nurse left to go get my other meds.

Once again in minutes my nurse was back and gave me my meds and within ten minutes of that the SWAT nurse was back with my antibiotics and my nurse had it hung and started. They even beat Ron back who left the room with both of them to go downstairs and get himself some dinner. 

After a couple of minutes our getting my antibiotics not only was I feeling better but I started to itch like crazy! I pushed the call button thinking out of habit it would take a few minutes for a response but I was once again proved wrong because my nurse was in there in seconds and within a couple of minutes, a call to the doctor and pharmacy, lowering the rate the antibiotics was going in, and some Benadryl the itching was gone and everything was once again good.

So we waited and waited

Then the ultrasound lady came up and did the ultrasound right in my triage room which was nice that I didn't have to go anywhere for it!

After that we did some more waiting and waiting.

As soon as all the results were in we found out that it was kidney stones in my right kidney and the infection being worse on that side because of the stones. But because of my fever and pain they waited to watch me for a bit longer and make sure I got all the fluids and antibiotics and that my pain and nausea was uncontrolled.

My nurse was amazing and would come in every so often to check on me, chat a little bit, and answer any questions we had about that visit, the floor, how they do c-sections, and things like that! It was great that not only was she so sweet enough to talk to us and answer our questions but she didn't act like it was keeping her from something or that it was a bother!

A couple hours later I was all done, felt a lot better, and was able to be discharged with a pill before I left to help me sleep that night, which was an amazing thing to have!

I'm so glad it wasn't anything worse and that Our Little Munchkin was perfectly okay! I still hold my breath no matter what when they go to check out her heart beat just from habit from our loses. So each time I hear that beautiful drumming of her steady and strong heart beat I'm overfilled with joy and thanksgiving to our Father in Heaven for this blessing!

Ron and I were amazingly pleased and relived at my care at OB Triage! We hope not to see them until January when we welcome our Little Munchkin into the world but it's nice to know that just in case we have to go back we will be getting amazing care!

Since I love taking pictures and blogging of course I had to take these two pictures of my first time with the contraction belly band! Little Miss was too low and turned away so they couldn't pick up her heart beat with the heart beat Doppler band but could find it just fine with the hand held Doppler.



 Once again it wasn't the weekend we had planned since I did have other plans and ideas for this past weekend but it's all okay and I'm feeling a lot better and I hope now that I've passed the stone and will be on the antibiotics for the rest of my pregnancy that all my kidney issues for this pregnancy are in the past!

No comments:

Post a Comment