Yesterday I started having horrible cramping so I started doing all the tricks to help get it to stop or get better.
I went to the bathroom
Put my feet up
Drank lots of water
And finally laid down.
But the cramping didn't stop and was only getting worse and worse. Finally I gave up and called the OB thinking he would just have me come into the office. But I was wrong and he told me to go to the closest ER and get checked out to make sure I wasn't contracting or bleeding for some reason.
So once again I loaded up and headed to the closest ER. They started an IV, gave me fluids and meds, drew some labs, tested my urine, and did an ultrasound.
Everything came back just fine and perfect except for the ultrasound. Nothing was wrong with the Little Bean and he/she was their normal and busy self but one thing was wrong.
The pool of amniotic fluid that surrounds my little swimmer was compared to two other ultrasound I had had done a week before and three weeks before that. The comparison showed that my fluid levels were low so much in fact that they were fearful the bag had ruptured or sprung a leak and I was slowly leaking out fluid.
Working in the medical field I know what all can and can't be done and the outcomes when your water breaks or leaks this early in pregnancy and those facts had my heart racing and tears flowing.
L&D was called and they came over to the ER, (since I have to be 18 weeks to go to L&D I couldn't go to them) with a test that they do to check if my water had broke or is leaking. The test is a simple vaginal swab and then the swab is put into a fluid that turns a certain color when it's positive for amniotic fluid. It takes a couple of minutes to get the results and the time it took them to come over with the test and get the results honestly felt like days!
But I had this beauty to help keep me calm or calmer and me focused on her instead of those minutes that felt like days!
She is so much better than chocolate and Coca-Cola and the best medicine ever! Plus I didn't know pictures were being taken at the time so this was completely candid which makes me love it even more!
Finally the doctor came in and gave me the results.....................................
I water wasn't broken and I wasn't leaking fluid either! Yay!!
This meant that I was low and possible not making enough most likely because it's Summer in Arizona and everyone, no matter how much fluids you drink, is in some sort of dehydration!
So what does this all mean now! Well it means that I will still be monitored closely and I have to triple my fluid intake a daily so I'll probably have grown gills by the time I have the Little Bean! Hahaha!
I'm so grateful that I wasn't losing fluid! I'm not really happy that I'm low and not making enough but since I don't have a rupture or a leak I know a lot can be done to help this matter and to kick start my body into making more. I'm also grateful that I'm being watched closely so both the Little Bean and I are safe and healthy!
Hopefully I will have good news to report on this matter after my next OB appointment!




No comments:
Post a Comment