Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Pamphlet of Information Awesome!

Some may find this post pointless but I wanted to post about the awesome c-section pamphlet my awesome nurse gave me when I was admitted to the hospital for my intestines being inflamed and not in the right place. 

The reason I want to post it is:

First I was so happy, thrilled, and excited to have information going over the basics of how they do c-sections here. 

Second I want to be detailed about Little Miss's birth but I have a feeling because of mother's bliss I may miss out posting about what happens before, during, and after my c-section

and third this way if the pamphlet gets lost or I eat it in a pregnancy fit of crazy hunger I can look back to read this for any other questions I have!

I know I will get more information when Ron and I go do the hospital tour but this pamphlet is nice to have and it's great to get some general information about the whole thing and have some questions answered!

Before the show begins!

*We will come on up to the Family Birth Center the morning of Little Miss's debut (even if labor starts and she decided to come earlier than our scheduled date)

*They will lead us to a room in the Triage area and there I will change into gown and they will put Little Miss and I on a fetal monitor to monitor her heart rate and record any contractions if I'm having any, they will do a physical exam, and then start a rousing game of 20 questions to get all my information and medical history.

*Next they will come in and register me if I'm not already, which I am from my last visit, and go over all the consents for the c-section, permit for a blood transfusion if I need it, temporary power of attorney for Ron in case I can't make medical decisions, and all those fun legal forms!

*Once that is all done they will start an IV (hopefully my veins will give up the hard stick status for that!) and then they will start fluids since I would have been NPO since the night before and I will get two liters before my c-section. At this time they will also give me an antacid to help neutralize the acid in my stomach and help me not throw up in the operating room.

*Next it's time to play barber shop and they will check the area for the incision and use electric clippers to shaved any hair from the area. 

*Once I get my shave they will check me for any jewelry I have and can take off and make sure I've given them to Ron. Luckily they are fine with wedding sets and I asked about my thumb ring from Angel (the first patient I really bonded with him and his family at PCH before his death in 2005) that I never take off and honestly feel so naked without it on and they said that would be fine to keep wearing. But anything else like necklaces, bracelets, anklets, earrings, or other piercing will have to come off. 

*Next they will put on the dreaded leg pumps! Those things I hate that they put on after all my surgeries and if I'm having any issues that require me to be in bed more. These tools of Satan will stay on until I'm up and walking around after my c-section.

*Lastly Ron will get dressed in his fabulous operating room outfit complete with surgical hair net and surgical foot covers, very sexy! I will put on my own surgical hat then if I can or the nurse wants me too I'll walk into the surgical area but if not they will wheel me on in!

C-Section Time!

 *Once I get into the ice box of an operating room they will give me some warm blankets since I will only have on a hospital gown and surgical hat on! Then they will get me into position for my spinal to numb me from the abdomen down. When I get into the position they will quickly lay me down on my back because the spinal starts working that fast!

*When I'm laying down they will insert a catheter into my bladder that will stay in until the next day. I'm glad I won't be able to feel this because even though it doesn't hurt at all it's not comfortable!

*Then they will hook me on up to everything! They will place a safety strap around my legs and arms, EKG leads on my chest to monitor my heart rate during the c-section, grounding pads will be placed on my leg, am oximeter to monitor my O2 stats during the c-section, a blood pressure cuff on my arm, and some O2 because they help to ease the mother's breathing and such during everything. Most of these things will stay on me until after I get out of recovery.

*When the hooking up is done they will uncover my baby bump and scrub it on down with a special surgical prep.

*Once this is all done, which takes about 30 minutes to complete and is what takes the longest to do, it will be time to get the show on the road! They will seat Ron next to my head and soon the room will be busy with the typical c-section staff of:
My OB doctor
A L&D nurse
Surgical assistant
Anesthesiologist
An OB tech
A nurse for Little Miss
Neonatology
And a respiratory therapist! 

*When Little Miss gets here she will be cared for in the operating room, weighed, cleaned up a bit, and wrapped up before coming over to meet mommy and daddy face to face as long as no issues come up with her!

*Lastly as we enjoy Little Miss, who as well as Ron remain with me in the operating room as they use either staples or stitches and sterile incision dressing to close me on up before our new family of three are taken to recovery! 

Once The Show Is Over!

*Right after the c-section is over we will be moved to recovery for the next hour or so and while there they will continue to monitor my vitals and make sure my pain is under control.

*They will also at this point start doing checks that they will continue for the next 24 hours or so to see if the spinal medication is wearing off. Until then I will confined to my bed seeing as I can't feel anything below my tummy to be able to control my legs to walk!

*This is some TMI but you know how I am with things like that and this blog! Even after a c-section women will bleed from "down below" so my bleeding will be checked to make sure it's not too much!

*They will press my abdomen and make sure that my uterus is firm. If not they will do massages on my abdomen to firm it up. This helps prevent massive bleeding and blot clots!

*Since it's important to breathe deeply and cough after any surgery they will instruct me on the best ways to do this so I don't hurt myself or damage my surgical site. They will also instruct me on some of the best ways to get up and roll once my numbness have gone away.

*They will slowly allow me to eat and drink as I can handle it and once that happens they will listen to make sure I have active bowel sounds. Until I'm allowed to fully eat and drink I will get IV fluids and my output will be watched closely to make sure I'm not getting dehydrated.

*Lastly they will monitor my pain and help me with pain control. I just have to be a hell of a lot better and tell them when the pain is getting uncomfortable instead of being out of control so they can manage it better. I tend to try to be more of a "tough guy" and wait it out but seeing as I will have Little Miss to care for now I can't be curled up in pain waiting for the meds to kick in while my infant is screaming in hunger! Luckily I have my awesome support of Ron to make sure I'm doing this!

So there you go the pamphlet low down on how Scottsdale Shea does their c-sections! Of course if I remember to when I post Little Miss's birth story in a couple of months I will try to remember these details but if not you now know the basic medical information of what all went on!

Now I can eat the pamphlet if that random and weird pregnancy craving hits! Hahahaha! 

No comments:

Post a Comment