I love the German culture, completely love it! For my Senior trip after high school I went to Germany and honestly considered getting a job and staying there! I just love it!
When I took German in high school we learned about St. Nicolas Day that is celebrated in Germany and other areas in Europe.
On the night of December 5th the boys and girls put a shoe outside before bed. That night St. Nicolas and the devil or devil like demon (yes you read that right) come to visit. If the children were bad the devil/demon leaves a stick for spankings and it's their final warning to be good or Santa won't leave anything for Christmas. If they were good St. Nicolas puts coins, chocolate, candy, and maybe small little toys in the shoe as a reward and for the kids to continue to be good.
Of course I fell in love with this tradition and if I didn't do any other type of tradition for any holiday but one this would be it!
Ron and I wanted to get Dutch clog shoes and paint her name on one and do that for all of our kids but with the craziness of last month time got away from us and I wasn't able to order them in time. But Grandma Echo had a plain wooden Dutch clog that she let Rondalynn borrow for the night!
Her little shoe waiting by the door (we have to keep the shoe inside by the door so Socrates doesn't get it!)
And her shoe the next morning!
She must have been a good girl so far this year because St. Nicolas left her chocolate coins, (that mommy and daddy ate), so suckers, and a light up pink squishy ball/toy!
And here are the pictures of her the next morning seeing what was in her little shoe!
Of course she doesn't fully understand what is going on but I think it's important to start these traditions that first year and even though I'm sure mommy was much more excited then she was I know in time she will join in my excitement!


No comments:
Post a Comment